This huge pagoda that stands out in a field outside the city island of Ayutthaya, which is called ‘Phukhao Thong Field’, is historically significant because it was the place where the battles between Ayutthaya and Hongsawadi took place first when Ayutthaya lost to Hongsawadi and had to be a vassal state of Burma (Myanmar) and secondly when Ayutthaya fell.
It is believed that this Phu Khao Thong Pagoda was built in the early phase of Ayutthaya Era until Ayutthaya lost to Hongsawaadi when King Burengnong of Hongsawadi ordered a new pagoda to be built to replace the original one to celebrate the victory og Hingsawadi. Afterwards, when Ayutthaya could claim back its sovereign, a new pagoda was uilt to replace the one built by Hongsawadi troop. Later, in the reign of King Boromakot or in the latter phase of Ayutthaya, the pagoda was restored to be a tall and dignified one as it had been before.
Even though Phukhao Thong Temple was abandoned after the fall of Ayutthaya, the big pagoda has always been a place of worship. In Suthonphu’s poem entitled ‘Nirat phukhao Thong (A Journey to Phu Khao Thong)’, the Phu Khao Thong mentioned in the poem is this pagoda.
In A.D. 1956 when General Plaek Phibunsongkhram was the prime minister, there was a big restoration prohject for archaic sites in Ayutthaya Province, and this Phu Khao Thong Pagoda was restored. The latest restoration is being undertaken (A.D. 2016 – A.D. 2017) and is expected to be completed within A.D. 2017.
Location: Outside the city island to the northwest, Phu Khao Thong Sub-district, from No. 309 High Way (Ayutthaya – Ang Thong)