On the west side of Chao Phraya River, to the south of the city island, there is a small white building. The area in which this white building is located is the memorial site of Portuguese Village. The Portuguese was the first European people that came to Ayutthaya since A.D. 1511 in the reign of King Ramathibodi II who is the 10th king of Ayutthaya Era. The Portuguese people coming to Ayutthaya were merchants and mercenaries.
At that time, Portuguese people outnumbered other European peoples in Ayutthaya. Three Catholic churches were built for committing religious rituals, namely St. Peter Church of the Dominican Group, St. Paul Church of the Jesuit Group and the Church of Franciscan Group.
The archaic constructions in Portuguese Village include the ruin of St. Peter Church. In addition, many archaic items and a graveyard have been found. More than 200 human skeletons have been discovered. The excavated tombs are shown in that white building.
Opening Hours: Everyday from 09:00 to 17:00, no admission fee
Location: Opposite Japanese Village, on the other side of the river, in a walk distance from Chedi Wat Sam Pluem Round-a-bout and cross the bridge over the river or from Chai Watthanaram Temple and Phutthau Sawan Temple