According to a chronicle, Chantharakasem Palace was built in the reign of King Mahathammathirat around A.D. 1577 in order to be the residence of the King’s son or King Naresuan (before he accessed to the throne) when he went from Phitsanulok to visit the King in Ayutthaya. This palace was also the command post of King Naresuan during the battle with Hongsawadi in A.D. 1586.
Since then, Chantharakasem Palace had become a residence of many other kings until the fall of Ayutthaya when Chantharakasem was abandoned.
In the reign of King Rama IV, there was a project to restore Chantharakasem Palace and many additional throne halls and pavilions were built. In his reign, King Rama V allowed the Krung Kao Municipality to use Phiman Ratthaya Throne Hall in Chantharakasem Palace as its office. Phraya Boran Ratchathanin, the governor of Krung Kao District collected antiquities at this throne hall and in A.D. 1902, this office was turned into museum called ‘Boran Phiphithaphan (Boran Museum/ Museum off Antiquities)’, which was changed to ‘Ayutthaya Phiphithaphan (Ayutthaya Museum)’ later.
In A.D. 1936, Department of Fine Arts upgraded Ayutthaya Museum into a national museum named ‘Chantharakasem National Museum’ to display antiquities, as well as Phiman Ratthaya Throne Hall and the 4-cornered marquee, to people.
Opening Hours: Everyday, except Mondays, Tuesdays and holidays, from 09:00 to 16:00, the admission fee for a Thai adult is 20 baht; children and students can visit for free.
Location: On the city island, Rochana Road, opposite Phranakhon Si Ayutthaya Rajabhat University
Contact Information: Telephone Number: +66-35-241-587